Getting a visa for travel to Myanmar (Burma) is now much easier thanks to the government's eVisa program. Under the program, passport holders of around 100 countries can apply for their tourist visas online.
Table of Contents
Who can apply for a Myanmar tourist visa online?
Ordinary passport holders of around 100 countries may now apply for their tourist visa to Myanmar online. This includes Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Japan and the US.
Those from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, the Philippines, Thailand and Viet Nam may enjoy a 14 day visa exemption period when arriving at an international airport. Singaporean passport holders may stay up to 30 days visa-free when arriving at an international airport.
How long can I stay in Myanmar on a tourist eVisa?
You may stay for up to 28 days from the date of arrival in Myanmar.
How much does a Myanmar tourist eVisa cost?
A Myanmar tourist eVisa costs US$50 and must be paid at the time of application with Visa, Master, American Express or JCB credit cards.
How long does it take to receive a Myanmar tourist eVisa?
You will receive confirmation of your application via email within 1 hour. Notification of the outcome of your application will be received by email within 3 working days. If approved, you will receive an approval letter, which you must print out and present on arrival at one of the approved entry points for Myanmar eVisas.
In our experience, we received the application confirmation immediately and the eVisa approval letter within 5 minutes! However, you should allow yourself enough time should it take longer.
At what ports of entry may I enter Myanmar with a tourist eVisa?
You may currently enter Myanmar with a tourist eVisa at one of the following ports of entry:
- Yangon International Airport
- Mandalay International Airport
- Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
- Tachileik Land Border Checkpoint
- Myawaddy Land Border Checkpoint
- Kawthaung Land Border Checkpoint
Currently you may not enter Myanmar via a sea port on an eVisa.
Things to know before applying for your Myanmar tourist eVisa
Validity of your tourist eVisa is 90 days from the date of issue, so be sure not to apply too early or before you've confirmed your travel dates.
Myanmar tourist eVisa application fees are non-refundable, so again it's best to apply only once you have confirmed your trip.
Tourist eVisas are for single entry only. Re-entry will require a new visa.
Some areas of Myanmar are restricted to which entry may be forbidden or require special permission. If you plan on entering any of these areas, please ensure you have the necessary permissions to do so. For most visitors travelling to the usual tourist spots, however, this will not apply.
The eVisa approval letter is not the visa itself. The visa will be granted after presenting the approval letter to immigration on arrival. While highly unlikely, you should note that immigration has the right to refuse entry to anyone, even if they possess the approval letter.
What you'll need for your Myanmar eVisa application
- A passport issued by one of the countries eligible for Myanmar eVisa application with a minimum remaining validity of 6 months. Have it handy as you'll need the passport number, along with issue and expiry dates for the application.
- A digital color photo taken within the past 3 months. It should be a head shot of the passport style variety – plain background, applicant facing head on to the camera, plain expression. We used our digital camera to take the shot in front of a white curtain, and simply cropped it using a photo editing app.
- Port of entry. You'll need to tell them where you plan on entering Myanmar from the list of approved eVisa ports of entry. You may, in fact, enter at any of the approved ports of entry but if your entry point is different to that on your eVisa approval letter it may increase the processing time on arrival. So, if you can, save yourself any hassle on arrival and put down the correct port of entry.
- Accommodation details. You'll need to put down the name and address of one registered accommodation provider where you plan on staying. Note that personal residence addresses will not be accepted.
- A Visa, Master, American Express or JCB credit card for payment.
Where do I apply for a Myanmar tourist visa online?
Applicants may apply on the website of the Ministry of Labour, Immigration and Population of Myanmar.
What to do on arrival in Myanmar
Present a physical copy of your Myanmar eVisa approval letter along with your passport to immigration. Both will then be stamped and returned to you, confirming your right to stay in Myanmar for up to 28 days.
Disclaimer: Visas for Myanmar are issued at the sole discretion of the government of Myanmar. While due diligence was taken in the writing of this post, we will not assume any responsibility for its accuracy, including any changes that may occur to the visa application or approval process in perpetuity. For the latest information and any enquiries, please see the official website.